I was wanting to diversify my reading anyway and so when I found this challenge I knew it would be perfect for me.
The rules of the challenge are:
1. Any book (by any author) with a main character that is a person of color qualifies for this reading challenge, as well as any book written by an author of color. The goal is to encourage readers to have a more diverse reading experience and to support diversity in the publishing industry by reading and reviewing books by or about persons of color.
2. The challenge will run from January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017 (books read prior to 1/1/2017 do not count towards the challenge). You can join anytime before 12/1/2017. Sign up here at Sistahs&Satire
3. Books can be any format (print, ebook, audio).
4. Novellas, Short story collections, Poetry, Graphic novels/manga, Children Books, and all genres are allowed.
5. Books can be of any publication date. ARC are allowed as well.
6. You can choose your books as you go or create a list in advance. Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
I have chosen to aim for “Stack 5” which is 25+ books and I think I want to make sure that at least half of them are written by POC.
MARCH 2017 UPDATE –
Due to the very large amount of books I read by Black Authors for Black History Month, I have now completed this challenge and so will not be updating the post any further. Many of the books I read during February can be found under the “Black History Month” category and this alone counted towards over half of the challenge.
As I expect I will be reading many more books by/about POC, I also feel that keeping an updated list will be very time consuming however at the end of the year, I will make a post focusing on my top 25 for the year.